[Unix VM] socket plugin (was Re: Stability opf Squeak on Linux)

Rob Withers rwithers at exobox.com
Wed Nov 8 17:57:42 UTC 2000

Hi.

Attached you will find a new sqUnixNetwork.c file (gzipped).  This has
been used for at least 600 hours with one fix made to the alpha version
I posted several weeks ago.  The fix: when you are waitingForData and
the other end closes, then we need to signal the readSemaphore, in
addition to the connSemaphore, to unblock the reader.  This
implementation uses a state machine abstraction to ensure correct event
handling at all times.  It passes most of John's tests (~95%).  It does
not currently support UDP or SocketOptions, although that work has been
done before and would be pretty easy to incorporate.  I actually haven't
used it with ComSwiki and the ilk but it has been used heavily with the
ConnectionQueue.

I'm not aware of what changes Lex made in his Linux VM.  From what I
have seen and tested, this implementation passes the most networking
tests on the Linux platform.  It will be interesting to see how it works
under WebServer load.

regards,
Rob