Jitter 3.1 available for PowerMac (MacOS and Linux)

Henrik Gedenryd Henrik.Gedenryd at lucs.lu.se
Sat Nov 18 11:25:29 UTC 2000

Marcel Weiher wrote:

> When I was building for MacOS-X-Server, I found that the gnuified
> version was actually slower than the non-gnuified one (both compiled
> for PPC with Apple gcc).  Both seemed significantly slower than the
> CodeWarrior-compiled versions for plain MacOS, much to my chagrin...
>
> Maybe I should get the code-warrior command-line compiler and try that.
>
> Marcel

I once learned that gcc does well for CISC-style instruction sets (like
x86), but not so well for RISC. Hence the advantages of Sun's own cc for
Sparc and the MW compiler for PowerPC. This piece of knowledge is now some 7
years old but it may still be valid. It would explain your results (and why
Mac OS X--which is also compiled with gcc--still seems so slow...)

Henrik