Changeset problems

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Sat Nov 18 18:12:47 UTC 2000

Andres Valloud <avalloud at exobox.com> wrote:
> Much of the problem, IMHO, is that ChangeSets right now do not behave as
> anOrderedCollection of things that happened, which upon fileOut is
> checked for redundant/useless changes. So we lose order, and so, we have
> trouble with class definitions not matching and other stuff.
>
> I think changeSets should be more like the .changes file. But... am I
> hallucinating too?

In my ideal system, changesets would have a couple of extra properties:

	1. They can be uninstalled, which will cause all changes in them to be
reversed.

	2. Loaded changesets have an ordering, to resolve conflicts.  If you
uninstall a higher changeset, then any suppressed methods in all the lower
changesets will take effect.

	3. Ideally, changesets can "depend" on other changesets.  Loading a
changeset loads everything it depends on, and unloading a changeset
unloads all changesets that depend on it.

With changes like these, the common mode of updating would be to
*replace* a changeset with a newer one, as opposed to glomming it on top
of the older one.  Figuring out what goes in a CS file should be much
simpler, and loading changesets in diffirent orders is much less of a
problem.

So, I'd rather changesets *didnt* keep track of the exact order I did
things in, if they instead could do these other things.

-Lex