InstanceBrowser anyone ?

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Mon Nov 27 19:44:28 UTC 2000

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, Dan Ingalls wrote:

> >Bob Arning wrote:
> >> 2. I would strongly suggest turning off #infiniteUndo since it accumulates rather endlessly at the moment.
>
> Karl Ramberg <karl.ramberg at chello.se>replied...
> >Done.  Maybe images should have this turned off by default ?
>
> I'm about (in the next day or so) to rework these choices.  I'm proposing three:
>
> 	No undo
> 	Normal undo (5 most recent commands)
> 	Infinite undo

Dan, in most programs I've used with "infinite undo", they let you set the
number of undos (sometimes within a fairly low top, say 99). Of course,
the undo list is also genreally discarded on quit.

> I propose to add a feature for normal undo that will discard undo
> history upon quit with save.  This feature will be internally
> separable, but I am not proposing to make it an option.  Also, if
> infinite undo is set, you will be informed if you have a long history
> at quit time, with an option to prune that history.

I like that, but what about making it possible automatic? I set my default
pruning at 100. When I quite, the list simply get's pruned back.

(Contriwise, perhaps *size* is more important. I.e., if my list > some
megs I may want to prune it. However, I may be more interested in pruning
only "big" items.)

(I haven't poked into the undo code, but I'd love to have individual, say,
workspaces have their own undo lists, sorta like Internet Explorers
"history" menu. Project based might be sufficent.)

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.