Setting up problem

Kevin Fisher kgf at golden.net
Thu Nov 2 19:31:33 UTC 2000

> Bert Freudenberg <bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de> wrote:
> > On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Lex Spoon wrote:
> >
> > > I just tried this, and it didn't work.  Has anyone gotten Squeak working
> > > under esddsp?
> >
> > As I said before, I'm not using esddsp, and it just works :)
> >

> Well, then I wasn't talking to you.  :)  Perhaps ALSA lets you open
> /dev/dsp multiple times.  I dunno.
>
> Even if multiple opens are no longer a problem, sound servers
> still have benefits over /dev/dsp.  So, it would be
> really interesting to hear from someone who uses Squeak through esd
> using the esddsp wrapper.  From the docs, I don't see how they could get
> latency down to anything reasonable.  But it would be nice to see some
> verification of this.  (When I try it, it doesn't work at all....)
>

> -Lex

Well I don't use ESD, I use aRts and artsdsp BUT...

Using artsdsp with Squeak there is a small delay...this is somewhat
configurable since aRts lets you specify the priority, right down to
'real time' (which uses a certain amount of CPU).  If I crank the
responsiveness the delay 'appears' to go away to my ears.

There's some interesting buzz on the kde-multimedia list...sounds like the
GNOMEs are looking at aRts as well.  It would be really cool if they
could all settle on a single sound daemon (of course my vote is for arts
since it seems to be the better of the two).