Code Simulation Error during debugging

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Wed Nov 1 19:13:11 UTC 2000

"Raab, Andreas" <Andreas.Raab at disney.com> is widely believed to have written:

> Henrik,
>
> > A simple one would be to release the final Exceptions code as
> > an update, and issue new VMs.
[snip]
> Doing the exception modifications would require several changes in the j3
> and right now we want to look at porting j3 to a number of key platforms.
Whilst it is true that the j3 code would need some changes (simple ones
according to the discussions with Ian, but not essential to the
immediate need to get the thing working) there is absolutely no need to
have them done for j3 in order to let everyone else have the advantage
of working unwinds/exceptions right now.
The image changes are totally benign - you can run an updated image on
an old vm and get exactly the same behaviour as before (ie wrong, but no
crash etc) and you can run an old image on an updated vm (with the same
results). Since the un-fixed j3 would count as an old vm for this
purpose, I don't think there is any problem.

Indeed, if the intention of having the j3 as a plugin works as it
should, an updated vm bytecode vm running an updated image should still
be ok if the j3 plugin were present; it would simply revert to being
'broken'.

tim

Useful random insult:- Fog rolled in the day he was born, and a bit of it never rolled out.