Ascii Equivalents for KeyUp/KeyDown events

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at mucow.com
Tue Nov 28 15:20:26 UTC 2000

As I began messing around with the new event paradigm, I noted that
KeyUp and KeyDown events pass individual Key Codes, rather than their
ASCII equivalents.

Is there any reason that the ASCII equivalent, when available, is not
carried somewhere in the keyUp/Down event objects?  It would be
convenient and, particularly for games, faster, to have that
information be readily available without an additional lookup in some
applications without having to process two separate events.

In the Macintosh implementation, this information is available
beneath the scenes -- in fact, it is separately parsed out of a
single MacOS event into two Squeak events.  I'm not asking for a
change in the semantics -- just the convenience of having both
keycode and ascii equivalent in the same keydown record.

Or am I missing something?