Squeak on a PDA

Krisztian Flautner manowar at engin.umich.edu
Fri Nov 3 15:50:00 UTC 2000

Hello,

Regarding the problems that people have been experiencing
about the screen on a PDA being too small:

I was wondwering how difficult it would be to create a
Morph that would zoom the contents of a project and allow
interaction with the objects within the project through
the zoomed interface. In other words, the zoomer morph
would look like a project view before one enters it,
except that one can interact with the morphs in it without
having to enter the project.

I envision a rectangle that could be sized to the physical
screen of the PDA. The bottom of the rectangle would include
icons to zoom the view in and out, and some other buttons
to support click modifiers (like a button for an ALT key,
right, middle mouse buttons etc. maybe shortcuts to a few
other things). One could move around the zoomed view by clicking
on the four edges.

This morph would allow us to start using the existing stuff
on the small screen. Eventually we can add extra support to
morphs to do intelligent resizing. For example, depending
on the zoom level, less important information is progressively
discarded and/or less important information gets small faster
than more important information.

What do you think?

Is there something in the existing image that comes close
to doing this?

Later, -- Kris