Taking a small sources file with you

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Fri Nov 3 18:46:08 UTC 2000

Henrik Gedenryd <Henrik.Gedenryd at lucs.lu.se> is widely believed to have written:

> I'm only waiting for Tim to remind us about the new, flexible CompiledMethod
> format. This would allow you to store refs to comments within the CMs, just
> like with "magic temps" currently.
Better yet you could have _any_ sort of comment/source object there; I
did trivial implementations of
	normal pointer to source
	direct String in the image
	compressed String in the image
	list-of-tempnames to help the decomposer, er decompiler
But you could easily make a pointer into a database or whatever if you
wanted.

> I think the new CM format would be in the pipeline for 3.0, but I realize
> that this is the next version! We're at 2.9 right now.
>
> I'm guessing that this like other thing hinges on first getting the jitter
> out and running, then we can get on other things related to code.
No idea. At any particular time it needs a little work to make sure the
SystemTracer still makes a proper image and a little work to see what
changes have been made affecting CMs, then do a trace, build the new VM
and go.

tim

Useful random insult:- Changes hands and picks up a stroke.