Distributed Objects - Remote Message Passing

Johan Fabry johan.fabry at vub.ac.be
Fri Nov 17 15:04:51 UTC 2000

Now also available at http://prog.vub.ac.be/poolmembers/johanfabry

>         Does anyone have any opinions on which one I should use?  And Johan,
> why did you not use Lex's package?

Use mine, of course ;-)
But seriously: there is no one reason why I did not use Lex's package,
it's rather a combination of things, one more rational then the other
:-)

The focus of RMP is to make things a simple as possible for the user.
I wanted to keep RMP as isolated as possible from the rest of the image:
all code required for RMP is nicely contained within "Network-remote
message passing".
Lex's code is not as well documented as mine ;-)
Et cetera ...

>         Keep in mine, I'm just interested in Squeak to Squeak communication,
> not SOAP, CORBA or other inter-language communication that has extra
> overhead like XML.  It would be nice if we developed one standard way to
> do Squeak to Squeak communication.

I agree, some standardisation for Squeak to Squeak communication is a
Good Thing.

"You are more than the sum       Johan Fabry - Johan.Fabry at vub.ac.be
 of what you consume.            Vrije Universiteit Brussel
 Desire is not an occupation."   Programming Technology Lab, Room 10F709
  -- KMFDM                       Pleinlaan 2, 1050 Brussels, Belgium