Ascii Equivalents for KeyUp/KeyDown events

Marcel Weiher marcel at metaobject.com
Wed Nov 29 11:22:03 UTC 2000

> From: Bert Freudenberg <bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de>

> > 1.	Use Unicode instead of ASCII and define private characters
> > for special keys
> > [...]
>
> I'd prefer ...
>
>   1a.	Use X key codes instead of ASCII so you do not have to define
>  	private characters for special keys

I don't see how this is an advantage, after all, the X keycodes
essentially *are* private character definitions for special keys.
The only difference between your proposal and mine that I can see is
that with your proposal, codes may conflict with assigned Unicode
codes, whereas with mine they cannot.

> .... as suggested by Andreas Raab. (Not quite) incidentally, these key
> codes include the ASCII characters at the usual code positions.

So does Unicode.  In fact, Unicode also has all the ISO characters
at their usual/standard code positions.  It also, not at all
incidentally, has all the other Unicode standard characters at their
standard positions, which sort of is the point ;-)

Marcel