Does the Mpeg plugin work in Windows?

Chris Double chris at double.co.nz
Thu Nov 30 09:48:22 UTC 2000

I'm trying to use the MPEG plugin described at:

  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com/html/mpeg3source.html

I'm using Squeak 2.9alpha update #2988. I loaded in the changesets:

  MPEGPlayerJMM.10.cs
  MPEGPlayerMorph.10.cs

I have the windows plugin in the same directory as the squeak
executable and image. The windows plugin was from:

  http://spair.swiki.net/.uploads/Mpeg3Plugin.dll

When I try the any code on an mpg or mp3 I get a primitive failed
error. An example is:

  foo _ MPEGPlayer playFile: 'test1.mpg'

The error being:

  "Error: a primitive has failed"

   MPEGFile class(Object)>>error:
   MPEGFile class(Object)>>primitiveFailed
   MPEGFile class>>primFileValidMPEG:
   MPEGFile class>>isFileValidMPEG:
   MPEGPlayer>>initialize:
   MPEGPlayer>>initializeWithFileName:
   MPEGPlayer class>>playFile:
   UndefinedObject>>DoIt
   Compiler>>evaluate:in:to:notifying:ifFail:
   TextMorphEditor(ParagraphEditor)>>evaluateSelection

The same error in the same primitive occurs no matter what I try even
with different .mpg's which seem valid according to other programs.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? Do I need to do anything to
'register' the plugin DLL or anything? Anyone using it on Windows?

Chris.