jpython anyone?

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at 3plus4.de
Wed Nov 22 21:19:57 UTC 2000

At 18:33 22.11.00 -0200, you wrote:
>On Wed, Nov 22, 2000 at 11:27:55AM -0800, Alan Kay wrote:
> > Actually, this would be a very good time for suggestions, as we are
> > close to trying a whole bunch of "scripting syntax" experiments.
>
>Yes, that's what I was about to say. I'd be a lot more
>interested in "SPython" (Python-like syntax on Squeak).

The big question is: Do you just want python-like syntax but a runtime
system which is truely object-oriented and has real gc instead of ref
counting and some other legacy-design-decision fixed or a 100% compatible
python implementation which can import all the existing python stuff.

I actually started working on the Python parser to make use of POO - a
multiuser dungeon (MOO, MUD, MUSH) implemented in Python. But stopped, as I
said even before reaching any useful mile stone.  I decided to go the
tightly integrated Smalltalk-way but no the 100% compatible way.

>If you're specifically looking for suggestions, I'd also like
>to see something more Schemesque.

You know, there're some Lisp implementations for Smalltalk out there (at
least two for VisualWorks) and I once run Ian Piumatra's implementation on
Squeak.  Unfortunately, I've only VW version left after a virus... well you
know :-(

>I also designed a C-like syntax for Smalltalk environments
>(more specifically for Squeak) a few months ago while I was
>bedstuck, I'll try to turn it into some kind of spec for the
>list. I tentatively called it "the ChitChat language" ;-)

Please tell me (us) more.

I recently created a scripting language from a mixture of Lua (a cool tiny
scripting language written in C) and PNuts (a Java scripting language) for
the Java VM.  Its runtime environment is basically SELF, it has just a
different syntax, but please don't tell this my Java friends ;-)

>Brazil of Darkness (RPG)    ---     http://zope.gf.com.br/BroDar

Is this ^ somehow related to White Wolf's WoD?  ^ Zope-Fan? :-)

bye
--
Stefan Matthias Aust \\ Truth Until Paradox