Slightly off-topic: Spacewar!

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at disney.com
Thu Nov 23 21:23:09 UTC 2000

Kevin --

That was one of a number of designs done in the first couple of years
at PARC. There were several that were called "Simulation LOGO" (or
SLOGO, as I had a feeling they would start off being nice and slow).
Then there were several called Smalltalk (but now called
Smalltalk-71), then Smalltalk-72 happened in Sept 72.
      The example in the actual Rolling Stones article (published in
Nov 72) looks to me like one of the SLOGO versions. All of these
languages had different devices that unified functions and classes --
I see that the one used here was that "create" in front of a function
call would create an instance. In Smalltalk-72, this determination
was made via a side-effect of an internal test in the body of the
class.

Spacewar was one of about 20 "quintessential examples" for me during
that time that had to be small, pretty, understandable, readable, and
programmable by "regular people", especially kids -- so it got
rewritten many times. (The current etoys system in Squeak allows a
very pretty and compact version to be easily made.)

This article by Stewart Brand might just be the best writing anyone
has done on this culture. It's not mentioned here, but the Whole
Earth Truck Store was right across the street from SRI (Doug
Engelbart and the SRI AI group, both ARPA projects) while all this
was going on. Most of the ARPA computerists were part of the counter
culture and the "Free University" which stretched from University
Avenue in Palo Alto up into Menlo Park. The Whole Earth Catalog and
what it stood for was used as a beacon for "what computers should
turn into for people", and Stewart got to see it all (among other
things, he was one of the cameramen in the famous Engelbart show in
San Francisco in 1968).

Re: the ARPANET. There is very little that has happened so far with
the Internet that wasn't part of the conversation about the ARPANET
in the early sixties, years before it was designed, built, and first
turned on in Sept 1969. And many important things that were done in
the late sixties by Engelbart and others have been done worse or not
at all so far by the larger culture that is bumbling around with the
Internet. Point of view is indeed worth 80 IQ points!

Re: beanbag chairs. Just get some and use them. They are not part of
any culture that requires "convincing employers".

Cheers,

Alan

-------