FixedPoint asString?

Jarvis, Robert P. (Contingent) Jarvisb at timken.com
Thu Nov 2 13:41:41 UTC 2000

In Scheme do any numbers start out inexact except, perhaps, floating point
values?  Hmmm...I guess I can also see that many functions (e.g. trig
functions and logarithms) might produce inexact values.  Or is my dislike
for floating point numbers coloring my view here too much?

If we get rid of floating point (or restrict its ease of use dramatically)
do we reduce the degree of inexactness in mathematical expressions by any
meaningful degree?  My intuition says yes, but I have no experience with an
exact/inexact system such as Scheme.

Bob Jarvis
Compuware @ Timken