Change Set File Out problem Problem 1

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Wed Nov 15 05:54:12 UTC 2000

>This method basically looks in the change set record to see if there is an
>old definition to the class in question.  If there is, then it actually
>merges the old and the new definition into one and files that out.  This
>means that there is no way to get rid of instance variables.  Why is this
>done ?  And how can it be fixed to not have this problem.

Eric -

I saw that Bob answered the crux of your question:
>That is fixed inchange set 2504 in 2.9a

However, if you were wondering why we make up a "fat" (merged) class def for the fileOut at all, here's the reason:  It prevents transcript warnings while recompiling the class if instvars are being removed before the methods that use them are removed.  In fact for Class variable changes, this same problem actually used to cause errors, so the fileOuts had to be edited by hand.

	- Dan