UPDATE ON: Squeak becomes (almost) autistic???

jchludzinski at worldkey.net jchludzinski at worldkey.net
Fri Oct 27 23:23:34 UTC 2000

Bob,

>You have Processes (plural?) running the models and putting data
>into the queue. Then you have a Process taking it out and sending
>it through a socket. And squeak gets real slow. Then you kill all
>the model processes and everything is back to normal speed.

>Right so far?

Yes, you've got it.

>So I would try: - leave the model processes running and kill the
>sending process. How is it now? - take a look at the model
>processes. What are they doing?

The models ALSO have a Process associated them.  The same as the
Daemon #receivingRun and #sendingRun - an infinite loop with a 1
second Delay at the bottom.  They are also created via a #fork.

>Do they have Delays periodically?

See above.

>Do they wait on some other resource?

Nope, the simple take Events of the EventQueue (a Heap) and execute
them - part of a Model's logic (the Event handlers).

>Do they yield?

Nope, they use Delays (1 second).

>Are they at the same priority as the UI and the sending process? -
>have you tried this with the sending and receiving images on
>separate machines yet?

I assume they have a priority of 4 if I read the #fork logic
correctly.