CORBA for Squeak

Henrik Gedenryd Henrik.Gedenryd at lucs.lu.se
Fri Oct 20 08:45:35 UTC 2000

Lex Spoon wrote:

> Communication with other programming systems is a very nice thing.
> CORBA can't be more painful than not being able to do it at all!
>

> -Lex

It's kind of ironic that a paradigm based on "communicating objects" still
makes it so hard for objects to "really" communicate--technically/on a vm
level, intra-vm "message passing" is merely a metaphor for regular function
calls.

What I think needs to be done is to have the abstractions of the language
designed to allow for distributed computation. As it is now, all attempts
are based on adding dc to an existing paradigm, which requires you to do
hard work to support the non-dc model in a dc environment, which is
unnecessarily hard, probably by 1-2 orders of magnitude.

Henrik