Real people (was RE: [UNIX]Building modular VMs)

btanksley at hifn.com btanksley at hifn.com
Thu Oct 12 20:10:22 UTC 2000

From: David N. Smith (IBM) [mailto:dnsmith at watson.ibm.com]

>As an application builder, I'd like to bind the image and .exe
>file together, but things seem to mainly work fine without it
>at the moment. (As the image breaks up into parts, those
>should be bound into one image.)

>I distribute a packed file containing a directory holding:

>	VisiStar
>		VisiStar.image	Image renamed & with new icon
>		VisiStar.exe	Standard executable, renamed
>		VisiStarStuff	a folder of stuff needed by
>		             	VisiStar.image

>I preload a big bunch of images so that they aren't
>distributed, and don't have to be loaded from disk.

>I arrange the VisiStar folder so that only the VisiStar.Image
>is showing.

>One thing that is seems to be missing is a way to change the
>application ID (on the Mac) so that VisiStar.exe is run only
>when VisiStar.image is clicked, and not when GoldenProduct is
>clicked, since they may deliver different versions of the
>executable.

This isn't how the Mac is supposed to work -- I don't think it's a very good
idea.  I think a better organization would be to have a single launcher file
which is in the root directory, and have the real executable and image in
the Stuff directory.  The launcher could be in AppleScript (or whatever the
scripting language du jour is), or we could possibly add support into
Smalltalk for generating launch executables (this could eventually become
full-fledged support for turnkey compilation).

>Dave

-Billy