Newbie

ajh18 at cornell.edu ajh18 at cornell.edu
Thu Oct 5 18:24:06 UTC 2000

"Adam Bloom" <admanb at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, I'm new to this list, and to Squeak, I'm thirteen and started
> programming in Scheme around four years ago, and now I've started
learning
> Squeak. I've done the first twelve chapters of On to Smalltalk, (using
> Squeak, and a guide that tells the differences between the two) and I'm
> planning on doing the rest of them soon. I've also done the tutorials
on
> Morphic that are on the Squeak website, so I know a little about how
that
> works.
> I'm looking for advice, and even some simple projects that would help
me
> learn more about how it works.

Hello Adam,
	It sounds like your off to a great start.  I started programming
around your age but unfortunately I didn't discover Smalltalk until
college.  If your looking for a simple application to build, how about
building your own vocabulary tester.  I did this in high school to help
prepare for the SATs.
	As I see it, a multiple choice test would involve a
QuestionChooser that, when sent the #next message, would pick a random
word from a Dictionary along with its definition and then pick four more
random definitions and bundle them up in a MultipleChoiceQuestion object
containing a question (the vocabulary word) and five choices (the
definitions, one of them being correct).  You could then answer the
question by sending #chooseAnswerNumber: num to the
MultipleChoiceQuestion object.  This method could send a message to a
TallyScore object to keep track of the number of right and wrong responses.
	This is a start.  You can add variations like showing a
definition and choose the correct vocabulary word, or add different types
of questions like fill in the blank.
Have fun,
Anthony