Degrading performance under Linux

Kevin Fisher kgf at golden.net
Thu Oct 26 02:36:19 UTC 2000

Hi all:

I use Squeak quite regularly under Windows and Linux.  I've been noticing that
the Linux VM seems to degrade performance-wise after a while.

For example, tonight I was hacking away and after a couple hours of use, the
entire interface was getting so sluggish that what was being displayed was
lagging behind what I was typing.  I have to linger on button presses or else
they don't take!

Dragging the WatchMorph accross the screen is now painful to watch...it moves
in stutters when I drag it.  It's getting quite frustrating!

Does anyone have any ideas about why this might be happening?  I've even
checked the process load for the VM...it's not skyrocketing, it's actually
quite low.