AttachmentMorph design questions

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Mon Oct 2 17:21:36 UTC 2000

Stephen Pair wrote:

> Is this related to Fabrik?  Could the connectors in a Fabrik like system
> could use AttachmentMorphs for implementing connections.

Dan could say more about Fabrik, but at least from the graphical end of
things, these could implement the visual connections. A subclass could add
more refinement (like providing for dataflow).

> It would be interesting to see if the constraints could be made pluggable
> such that new and interesting things (things akin to Fabrik for example)
> could be done with AttachmentMorphs.

That would be interesting. I'm a bit frustrated with pluggability (using blocks)
right now in Squeak, having made a nice FSM package that worked fine in VW,
but failed horribly in Squeak because of its lack of BlockClosures (hint:
a BlockContext cannot be executed more than once at a time). It used blocks
for its configuration.

So in Squeak, we'd either have to copy blocks, or use objects to plug with.

> Would the constraint behavior be best in a different class whose instances
> are used by AttachmentMorphs?

Yes, probably. These could be called upon Morph>>step, as well as during
mouse dragging/up/down, and could do whatever they needed to.

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA
email:     ned at bike-nomad.com