[GOODIE] Lucy, a small font (was RE: preview of Squeak on VTech Helio)

Jay Carlson nop at nop.com
Wed Oct 18 15:16:00 UTC 2000

Karl Ramberg writes:

> Aaron J Reichow wrote:

> > That's definately good news.  For a PDA, I would expect that
> Morphic would
> > better suit the display constraints (rather, more easily
> adapted to), much
> > better than MVC.

> A scaleable GUI would be really nice so the same apps would look nice
> and work well on both a big and  small screen.
> For example the browser on the screenshot look a _little_ cramped...

One of my friends said, "that browser seems very...cozy."  Clearly, the
browser as constructed just doesn't work on a screen that small.  It needs
to be broken up into multiple screens, or parts of it replaced with dropdown
lists, or both.  That's the *real* challenge of scalable UIs---appropriate
syntactic elements change between sizes.  I may get a chance to play with
wall-sized 4000x2500 pixel displays soon, and that's another extreme.

I'm not much of a deep Squeak hacker, so I'm working things that are easy to
do without in-depth knowledge of the system.

Attached is a changeset that adds a small font, Lucy, to the image.  It's
roughly the same size/density as the standard PalmOS font.

Also attached are two screenshots using the Lucy font.  The first shows just
how little space there is to work with.  It's a Workspace sized to 160x160,
the dimensions of the Helio and PalmOS screens.  The second is 320x240,
which is the size of all the WinCE palm-sized devices.

> I'v been thinking about using  the fabrik/ component stuff
> as a GUI that could be easily extended and modified as you go along.
> Some more widgets are needed and a way to show / hide the
> different components.

I need to go look at fabrik again....

Jay