More Information on Squeak Textbook

Sean Gibbins sean.gibbins at lineone.net
Mon Oct 9 08:06:20 UTC 2000

Conrad Taylor wrote:

> Hi, I also think that most people would rather have a
> full body of work in regards to a tech book and one
> shouldn't try to do a S. King.

Depends.

I don't much like the idea of a write-it-as-you-go affair, which is
bought piecemeal by the punters and canned if the sales don't go above a
certain point.

On the other hand I have no objection to a 'modular book', a complete
body of work split into categorised modules which the reader can select
and purchase as appropriate to their needs. Presumably the author could
then update relevant components and give 'registered' purchasers the
opportunity to do so too, in a similar fashion to software upgardes (I
understand that some people actually *buy* the stuff! ;o).

It really gets me when I buy a book, only to find that it is reprinted a
couple of months later with updated and new material (O' Reilly's
'Running Linux', for instance. Grrr...)

Of course, the down side to this e-books business is that you risk life
and limb reading them in the bath...

Sean.