FFI Question on Linux

Kevin Fisher kgf at golden.net
Mon Oct 23 10:06:42 UTC 2000

[snip]

> I have compiled the VM many times today, and have tried Tim Rowledge's suggestions as well.  None of these attempts have been able to call the FFI.  I have used the --enable-ffi=yes option on the configure program.  One thing I've noticed about the configure program  is the output it displays, "checking for ffi_call  in -lffi...no."  I have never seen it display a "yes."  I don't know if that is important or what it means.

Well, assuming you've built and installed libffi from source, it should be
living in /usr/local/lib.  The system needs to have /usr/local/lib in it's
library search path so you need to do one of the following:

1) /usr/local/lib mentioned in /etc/ld.so.conf  (run ldconfig -v as root after
doing that)
or
2) set LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/lib.  This needs to be set
every time you log in, however (in your .login or .profile).

I recommend 1), since lots of stuff gets put in /usr/local/lib.

Once either 1) or 2) is true, the configure script _should_ be able to find
libffi.

[snip]