[UNIX][VM] Display depths (was: Re: "Emulating" a PDA)

Jay Carlson nop at nop.com
Tue Oct 24 01:21:22 UTC 2000

Tim Rowledge [mailto:tim at sumeru.stanford.edu] writes:

> And I think we've probably taken the wrong fork in the road anyway;
> wouldn't this Helios-thingy need copyImage*To1 anyway? Or is my jetlag
> making life seem even wierder than normal?

Aw, I took the cheap way out.  ioHasDisplayDepth(i) returns false for all
values other than the Linux fb depth.  For 1bpp->1bpp, all I needed was a
memcpy.  Well, a word-order swapped memcpy.  I'm going back and adding dirty
region support now.

I'd like a 4bpp display.  Things look a little messier.  Can't I hack on the
image to tell it that the palette is a grey ramp?  If not, why not?

Do I have to go all the way up to 8bpp just to get 4 bits of grey?

Jay