[BUG] {almost-fix} Semaphore>>critical: is broken

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Thu Oct 12 16:24:58 UTC 2000

Mark van Gulik wrote:

> I'm not sure about Squeak, but in VisualWorks when you terminate a process,
> it is interrupted with a new context that raises a termination exception.
> The outermost context catches this (allowing necessary unwind actions to
> occur along the way).

I _wish_ that's how it worked in Squeak. I've been missing the VW
interruptWith: aBlock for some time now.

The existing Process>>terminate just unwinds the context and takes it off
the list.

So you can't catch terminate, unfortunately.

Does anyone know how to do interruptWith: in Squeak? I'd be willing to take
a crack at it if I knew where to start.

It would let you interrupt a running Process, examine it in the debugger,
and then restart it.

It would also allow for more complex timeout and threading patterns.

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA
email:     ned at bike-nomad.com