External Widgets?

Kevin Fisher kgf at golden.net
Mon Oct 23 14:51:53 UTC 2000

One of the reasons I was asking about C++ and FFI was that I was thinking of
toying with the calling of  KDE or GTK+ widgets from Squeak.  I
remember when I was on this list a couple years ago that someone had begun
work on creating bindings for GTK+ and Qt (I think he called his project
"Talk Talk" or something similar).

Did anything materialize from this?  Are there any plans or projects underway
to support a platform-native widget set?  Or even more intreguing...how
about 'external' Morphic (mapping Morphs directly into X11 or Windows)?

Just curious...

(Note that I wonder about the licensing problems of calling an external
library...GTK+ is LGPL I think, while Qt is dually licenced as pure GPL and
QPL......and the KDE libraries built on Qt are LGPLed...argh!  Licensing
makes my head hurt... :)