Real people (was RE: [UNIX]Building modular VMs)

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz
Mon Oct 16 01:20:46 UTC 2000

	> One complexity is that it can be hard to *find* the executable, on
	> Unix.  In one crazy case, maybe someone saved the executable, executed
	> it, and then deleted it from the filesystem!

	In all normal circumstances it would be just argv[0] up to the last slash,
	right? But that's why I asked. Also, if we include this in the list of
	paths to search for, we'd have to define the order. Currently, it's

In normal UNIX practice, an executable program and its related files are
not in the same directory, and putting them in the same directory would
count as a seriously antisocial act.  For example, one might expect
	/usr/local/bin/groke
	/usr/local/include/groke/*
	/usr/local/lib/groke/*
	/usr/local/man/man1/groke*
(if the program was installed by root) or
	/export/users/okeefe_r/nhc98-1.00/tmp/bin/* (8 programs)
	/export/users/okeefe_r/nhc98-1.00/tmp/include/nhc98 (56 files)
	/export/users/okeefe_r/nhc98-1.00/tmp/lib/{hmake,nch98}/* (4 files)
	/export/users/okeefe_r/nch98-1.00/tmp/man/man1/*.1 (4 files)
Which files are relevant to the 8 programs?  Probably most are relevant to
most.  UNIX has plenty of ways to tell an executable file where to look
for resources; looking in the same directory has never been one of them.