Morph debugging tips / tricks?

Marcel Weiher marcel at metaobject.com
Mon Oct 9 10:40:20 UTC 2000

> From: mdr at scn.org (Mike Rutenberg)

> In the old MVC, you could typically INTERRUPT a running operation, and
> the core processing loop of what you were doing would be available
> directly in the debugger.  For example, the classic Dan demo of
> interrupting a text selection activity, exploring the code, changing it
> to do highlighting differently and continuing.

I think what you mean to say is that MVC had localized control (a
single loop somewhere) on the client side, whereas Morphic has
distributed control (spread over many methods).  This means that
getting or analyzing a specific behavior can mean looking at code
that is spread all over the system.

This has generally been noted as a problem of well-factored OO
systems, but I have a feeling it might be indicative of something
more fundamental:  the fact that we are implementing structures of a
certain abstraction level (or kind) with mechanisms from a different
abstraction level, which comes back to the "single page programs"
problem.

Marcel