FFI Question on Linux

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Mon Oct 23 16:39:05 UTC 2000

Henrik Gedenryd <Henrik.Gedenryd at lucs.lu.se> is widely believed to have written:

> What say you, esp. Tim who wrote this stuff?

Well I only wrote some of it, but would point out that:-
a) listLoadedModules is only the tiniest lowest level method. Somebody
might like to write a nice little toolette to use the output of
listLoadedModules and listBuiltinModules to display much more useful
information.
b) I think this is a reasonable argument in favour of my preferred way
of storing the modules in a directory local to the vm, rather than
treating them as 'normal' OS shared libraries. That way we could _rely_
on all acceptable modules being in _one_ place (or perhaps two) and thus
a simple directory listing would produce all those external modules that
could be loaded for comparison with the list that are loaded. See above
toolette.

tim
PS I think that I'd call the exception/unwind 'callback' more or a
'branch back'. There is no way that it can ever return from the image
code to the 'branch back'. Makes it so much simpler to do than a real
callback.

You depend too much on computers for information.