Squeak becomes (almost) autistic???

jchludzinski at worldkey.net jchludzinski at worldkey.net
Thu Oct 26 08:12:12 UTC 2000

>Ok, is this mac or something else?

It's a Win2K box (1GHz Athlon + 256MB RAM + 30G HD).

>Which version of Squeak?

Squeak 2.8.

>Also do you create many sockets and dispose of them, if so how, do
>you let them just get GCed, or do you do a closeAndDestroy?

The receiving Sockets are created via a ConnectionQueue and are
destroyed via a #closeAndDestroy.  The sending Sockets are created
via a #newTCP and are destroyed via a #closeAndDestroy.

>Make sure that you're creating the delay outside the loop; I don't

>know how well (or often) the Delays get garbage collected. You can

>re-use a Delay.

The Delays are local to the #run methods BUT are created before
entering the infinite loops.

>Does your image speed up when you do:

>Smalltalk garbageCollect

I haven't tried this BUT I observe the same behavior when I install
the app (classes) on a fresh image.

---John