Load creep (the final word?)

Kevin Fisher kgf at golden.net
Wed Oct 18 20:58:08 UTC 2000

I'm not aware of a workaround yet...I was thinking of contacting Stefan
Westerfeld, the author of aRts, for his opinion on it.  I took a quick look at
the kde-multimedia list and noticed that there were some issues with pthreads
interaction with respect to artsdsp and some changes had been made to the code.

Certainly the best solution would be having an optional aRts/ESD mode in the
UNIX sound code...it should be relatively simple (although I've only looked at
the aRts API, not ESD's).

I'm working on a project that uses sound cues from various sources so using
something like aRts or ESD is ideal (no worries about what program is hogging
the sound device, that way).