Morphic slow in 2.8 (was: Forecast)

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Wed Oct 4 21:58:29 UTC 2000

David Farber wrote:

> I have experienced the same thing on my 200MHz NT machine moving from 2.7
> to 2.8. The place it is most evident to me is with buttons; in 2.7 there
> was no latency between clicking on a button and the button being
> highlighted. In 2.8 there is a very noticably latency (probably ~ 500-700
> msec). It is very easy to see (at least on my machine), for example, when
> you press the "New game" button in FreeCell <grin>. For that reason, I have
> not upgraded my FreeCell image to 2.8.

I noticed the same thing on my 733MHz Win2000 machine comparing 2.7 with
2.8.

However, with 2.9alpha, it seems that the button-highlight latency
problem is solved... the button lights up right away.

But on the other hand, with 2.9alpha, the overall time to show the new
cards in FreeCell is still just as slow as 2.8, so there is still a
slowdown somewhere.  2.7 seems to take about 200 msec to bring up a new
game, while 2.8 and 2.9alpha both take about 500-600 msec.  (All of
these tests were run with the 2.8 VM from May 23.)

Anyway, it's another data point to consider.  (Looking forward to the
Hand/Event cleanup!)

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com
  RiskMetrics Group - Ann Arbor, MI