Real people (was RE: [UNIX]Building modular VMs)

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Oct 13 15:19:50 UTC 2000

Bert Freudenberg <bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de> wrote:
> Yes, I know now. The point I wanted to make is just that even for "geeky"
> platforms like Unix the installation should be as simple as possible,
> which especially means no system tweaking should be needed. Does anything
> prevent us from searching for modules in the VM directory? That would
> immediately solve the above issue.

This is highly configurable.  Check out sqUnixExternalModules.c if you
haven't and want to see the dirt.  One complexity is that it can be hard
to *find* the executable, on Unix.  In one crazy case, maybe someone
saved the executable, executed it, and then deleted it from the
filesystem!

But we could surely configure it to look in the "squeak" subdirectory of
Netscape's plugin directory(ies).

-Lex