ARM based Squeak, OSKit, EPOC

Edward P Luwish eluwish at uswest.com
Tue Oct 3 18:16:29 UTC 2000

The problem with the .EXE is when you try to call out to the graphics and
file syscalls.  Symbian has (or "have" in the UK) provided a console
interface and most of libc for quick porting of UNIX-ish code, but the .EXE
route was intended specifically for "server engines" that do calculations and
data manipulations on behalf of "real" apps constructed in the awful way EPOC
expects.  There is a way to do things more easily than that, but it still
requires removing the static variables (i.e., I don't have to rewrite the
interpreter as a C++ program except for a trivial "jacket") which may turn
out to be useful for other platforms anyway.

Even going directly to the hardware is a problem, if you were thinking that
way - besides, I'd like it to work on Tim's Netbook in addition to my S5, so
it should be constructed as a more-or-less well-behaved EPOC app.  I won't
have to worry about fonts, cut-and-paste, keyboard decoding and pen input,
either.  And, if Tim likes Squeak on the Netbook, it would be easier to
convince my wife to let me buy one.

Ed