Real people (was RE: [UNIX]Building modular VMs)

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Thu Oct 12 19:34:07 UTC 2000

>>>>> "Bert" == Bert Freudenberg <bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de> writes:

Bert> This applies no matter what OS you're using. For example, the
Bert> Unix Browser Plugin not too long ago was made of only external
Bert> modules, and since the Unix VM does not load modules from the VM
Bert> directory, you have to make sure the VM directory is either the
Bert> current directory for Netscape or you point an environment
Bert> variable to this directory. Something every Unix user should be
Bert> able to do. You know how many questions I got about this issue?

Ahh, but we took away the command line from most Unix users, by
putting this friendly desktop-of-the-day in its place.  The concept of
a "current directory" or an "environment variable" is as foreign to
many so-called Unix users as it is to Mac or Winders users now.

Also be aware that there are far more Unix users than there are Unix
programmers now.  The ratio is perhaps approaching the ratio for
the other desktop platforms.  You are speaking "programmer's" terms to
someone who wants to view Squeak as an "end user".

Yours for a safe future, :)