Cocoa-CORBA? (Was Re: CORBA for Squeak

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Wed Oct 18 18:32:05 UTC 2000

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, Lawson English wrote:

> I'm not even remotely a CORBA-compliant programmer, so take what I say with
> a few tons of salt, but my recollection is that Apple's Cocoa framework
> provides interoperability with CORBA without needing to learn CORBA. How is
> this done? Couldn't Squeak provide the same kinds of services?

Cocoa/OpenStep have a distributed object system as a part of the API,
although one which isn't CORBA-compliant (and doesn't try to be). Perhaps
you're mixing up the too.  They communicate via Mach messages, IIRC.

...but I may be wrong.  If there is a CORBA layer, my guess is that it
just wraps the existing DO layer around CORBA.

Aaron