Problem porting Squeak to RISC/DSP ...

Tom Poliquin poliquin at softcomp.com
Sun Oct 15 19:29:24 UTC 2000

I'm new to the list and excited about Squeak.

I've been a Smalltalker since '88 (do some Java so I can eat).

We recently got a Palm app running using PocketSmalltalk
 (which is awesome)..

This got our confidence up to getting Squeak running on our
favorite DSP .. Hyperstone, RISC/DSP combo, cheap and fast
 http://www.hyperstone-electronics.com/welcome.htm

OK, we read 'Chapter 42 .. Porting Squeak' which was *great*
and very helpful so we thought we were ready ....

We've got 4mb RAM (not 20) so we got the 2.2 mini image ..
Couldn't find the interp.c et al. for 2.2 (we don't have a PPC so
we couldn't generate one) so we just got the 2.8 version and
generated all the .c .. files. Just to convince ourselves we
weren't totally crazy we brought the 2.8 version up on Win95
but used the 2.2 mini image .. worked fine. This convinced
us we were on the right track ..

Made all the mods to the 'min.c' file and booted on the Hyperstone..
it loads the image and goes away for about 8 minutes .. (we don't
have a screen hooked up yet) and then we see some printf's, each
line has an address and a Smalltalk operation .. the last one is

  764234  BlockContext>newProcess

Well, this is primitive 19 .. and when I look in interp.c .. uh oh ..
nada .. there is no primitive 19 it just falls into a primitive fail.

- Is this a 2.8 VM with a 2.2 image problem? If so does anybody
  know where I can get the 2.2 fodder for generating a 2.2 VM?

- Is this a 'min.c' messup and I didn't 'unstub' something I
  should have ..

Any help appreciated ..

Tom