Running on HP Jornada 548

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Sun Oct 15 20:15:48 UTC 2000

Alan,

This problem has been mentioned several times on the list, but I have not seen an answer posted. Here is a reply I sent to one of the earlier messages (which seemed to point to some failure in floating point arithmetic primitives). Perhaps you could try this out and see if it provides any additional insight into the problem.

On Sat, 26 Feb 2000 23:44:23 CST "Francois Le Coguiec" <francois_le_coguiec at hotmail.com> wrote:
>Can someone please help me to understand the debugger walkback
>in the following attached zipped pictures?

Francois,

Here is what I can see from your images:

In attempting to create a new color for part of a debugger button, one of the color components remained a fraction after a #rounded message, as in:

(r * ComponentMax) rounded bitAnd: ComponentMask

The resulting fraction did not understand the #bitAnd: message. The real question is how #rounded returned a Fraction. One strange possibility is in Float>>truncated which, if the primitive fails, could return a fraction with:

	^ self asTrueFraction.  "Extract all bits of the mantissa and shift if necess"

Some obvious questions:

1. Can you repeat this error? If so, can you tell me how to recreate it?
2. Do you know what caused the debugger to try to open in the first place?

If this can be recreated, the way I would attack it is to add a method to Fraction (temporarily)

bitAnd: something

	Smalltalk at: #STRANGEBUG put: {self. thisContext shortStack}.
	^something

This will provide a less fatal behavior and you can inspect "Smalltalk at: #STRANGEBUG" afterwards to see a bit more about what was happening.

Cheers,
Bob