slow FreeCell (was: Re: Morphic slow in 2.8(was:Forecast))

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Mon Oct 9 20:54:08 UTC 2000

Hi David,

On Mon, 09 Oct 2000 14:35:32 -0600 David Farber <dfarber at numenor.com> wrote:
>even though we're still on the trail of the mysterious slowdown
>between 2.7 and 2.9, this is not my major beef with Morphic. the fact that
>it polls for events (and on my lowly 200MHz machine misses or scrambles a
>*lot* of them) makes all of Squeak feel sluggish.

Some changes to events in 2.9 and a new VM have pretty much eliminated that problem on the Mac. I suspect, given Andreas' Windows orientation, things should be better now in this regard for your platform as well.

> my wife and I are both
>FreeCell addicts, and even though Squeak's FreeCell is *so* much nicer than
>the version that comes with Windows, my wife prefers the Windows version.
>several times a game, i will go to grab a card, miss, wind up grabbing the
>FreeCell board, slingshot the mouse across the screen to place a card in a
>free cell, release, only to find the game board now displaced by several
>inches. i've been meaning to put FreeCell in a system window, and stop the
>game board from responding to mouse downs, but before i did that i was
>going to refactor the various embedInWindow methods in Morph so i could use
>that.

You don't really need to do anything heavy here. Open a FreeCell and from the control menu (or the red halo menu) choose either 'sticky' or 'put in a window'. Either of these will end the accidental grabbing of the board.

>but then we jumped on the trail of this slowdown...there is just too
>much fun to be had here! :)

Yes, indeed!

Cheers,
Bob