2.8 Release (was Re: Morphic slow in 2.8)

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Fri Oct 6 21:17:16 UTC 2000

Bruce ONeel wrote:

> "Adam Bloom" <admanb at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > What is this 2.8, 2.9a Squeak I keep hearing about? The highest I've ever
> > seen was 2.7, and that was a Squeak.org.
>
> Hi,
>   Sorry, this is my fault.  I got behind in updateing the web page.
> Soon.  OTOH, the goal is to have the version available on the web page
> as stable as possible.  2.7 is quite stable even if it isn't the
> freshest.

I was never sure if 2.8 was ever finalized as the current "official"
release.  From what you say, it sounds like it is official, but you just
haven't updated the web page yet.  (Or is it the actual act of updating
the web page that makes it "official"? :-) )

Anyway, at this point I'd say we should go for it and make 2.8 the
official release, unless there's some critical item we're waiting for.
(I know there was still a little tinkering going on with the Unix VMs,
but we've seen additional VM patches after releases in the past, so I
don't think that's really worth waiting forever for.)

2.8 has been on the verge of release for several months now... it sure
would be nice to have it made official before OOPSLA, so that newcomers
know which version to try.  (If it's a matter of updating the squeak.org
html, I'm willing to help out.)

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com
  RiskMetrics Group - Ann Arbor, MI