TIFF reader?

Duane Maxwell dmaxwell at banana.exobox.com
Sat Oct 21 01:49:40 UTC 2000

>Is there any interest in a TIFF reader plugin? I was reviewing code
>I've lying about today and was reflecting on a tiff library I've got
>and don't those digital cameras dump TIFF in our direction?

John -

Is anyone taking a look at the legal issues with stuff like this?  I'm
concerned because upon a quick examination, the MPEG stuff you posted
appears to be covered by the GPL.  I don't know which TIFF library you're
using - Sam Leffler's libtiff code appears to be relatively unencumbered -
but it inevitably has the nasty problem of violating the Unisys LZW patent.
Of course, Squeak's already doing that by having a GIF reader.

Not trying to rain on the parade, but as mentioned by several people
several times, Squeak can be put in jeopardy through lax attention to this
sort of thing.  My personal approach has been to reimplement as much as
possible in Smalltalk to mitigate licensing issues, even at the cost of the
extra work (ex. PNG, MD5, DES, AES, etc).

The patent issue, however, is a bullet of a different caliber.

-- Duane