Creeping system load

Kevin Fisher kgf at golden.net
Wed Oct 18 11:14:12 UTC 2000

Hi again:

I've been testing out a small class that regularly polls the serial port for
data.  I've been noticing that if I leave this class going overnight, the CPU
load creeps from about 15% to 100% by morning.

I don't see any immediate reason for it.  When I try to do anything in the
Squeak window when it is in this state, nothing happens--the interface is dead
until I do an alt-.  (I would have shown the stack trace here but I
accidentally nuked it before I could copy it. :)

After this, the load drops back down to 15% and all is happy again.  Note that
the memory usage doesn't change...just the CPU load....this is on 2.9a under
Linux as well.

Even without my serial polling class being active I've noticed that the Linux
VM seems to chew up more and more CPU over time...  I leave a Windows VM
running at work most of the time and I haven't had any strange CPU loading
issues with that.

Does anyone have any ideas?  Suggestions on how to debug this would be very
helpful!