FFI Again (last time, I promise!)

Kevin Fisher kgf at golden.net
Tue Oct 17 14:45:53 UTC 2000

> On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Kevin Fisher wrote:
>
> > 2)  In the above example, I have to use the module 'libc.so.6' specifically,
> > or else the function call won't work.  However, in the X11 examples the module
> > is always set to 'X11' (not libX11.so).    Is there any way I can call from
> > the standard C library without specifically having to reference the
> > version-specific libc.so.6?  Using module: 'c' doesn't work...
>
> To call libc functions (which are linked into the VM anyways) you
> shouldn't have to specify a module at all. This used to work before the
> big Squeak modularization orgy ;)

Hmm, I tried it without specifying a module and it didn't work, either.

> I made a changeset to allow this again, but it didn't make it into the
> distribution. I think there was a discussion about this, but I don't quite
> remember. See
>
> 	http://swiki.gsug.org:8080/sqfixes/964.html
>
> -- Bert

So, you're saying it used to work, but it doesn't now with the modular VM?
FWIW I'm running a decidedly non-modular UNIX VM built from the sources...
couldn't figure out how to make all those *.so modules so it's all
built-in I'm assuming.