Win32 build troubles

Helge Horch Helge.Horch at munich.netsurf.de
Thu Oct 26 00:14:01 UTC 2000

Folks,

I think I'm dense today.  I can't get the win32 VM to build reliably.

Build environment #1:  NT4SP5, mingw-crtdll, gcc 2.95.2-1, cygwin-gawk 3.0.3.

VM builds out-of-the-box, but SIGSEGVs on NT when reading image (my guess,
right after file chooser).  Building unstripped non-DNDEBUG VM goes
cleanly, but gdb itself SIGSEGVs when running the exe.  Hmm, 'kay, switch to

Build environment #2:  Win98, mingw-crtdll, gcc 2.95.2, mingw-gawk 3.0.4.

Mingw's gawk silently bails out of processing the gnuify script.  Seems it
has to be in LF format for this gawk on this platform.  Next, it doesn't
grok redirection to "/dev/stderr" (thus no messages), so I convert them to
"gawk.err".  Then, it bails out on line 133 due to an unquoted brace
("patched" gnuify script attached for reference).  Hooray, it builds and
runs on Win98.  Woohoo, same VM again SIGSEGVs on NT.  (I tried swapping
crtdll.dlls, but no show.)

(It's not the awks, the processed gnu-interp.c files are identical.)

I'm at my wit's end for today.  Could successful win32 VM builders please
outline their setup?

Slightly irritated,
Helge