[UNIX]Building modular VMs (was Re: floatAt: on Win2K vs Linux )

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Oct 10 16:57:22 UTC 2000

Tim Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu> wrote:
> Well that was a waste of time. It turned out I was working with the
> 'old' 2.8.2 stuff. I just tried to do this with the 'new' 2.8.4 stuff
> and it doesn't work. Apart from anything else Ian has removed essential
> functions from the sound & sockets files, so they can't possibly work as
> external plugins. The latest configure/make stuff spends far too much
> time trying to be clever, and in doing so defeats ones efforts to make
> an external plugin.

For what it's worth, making SoundPlugin external doesn't seem like that
big of a deal for me.  I know it's just an example, but for this
example, who cares?

I'd definately like a choice in *future* plugins.  Then again, on Unix,
I don't see the big deal about making everything external.  The internal
plugins stuff seems aimed towards platforms where internal plugins are
a pain.  Arguably, we don't need to support at it all on Unix....

-Lex