[UNIX]Building modular VMs (was Re: floatAt: on Win2K vs Linux )

Karl Ramberg karl.ramberg at chello.se
Thu Oct 12 16:33:02 UTC 2000

Tim Rowledge wrote:

> I rather suspect that for Mac & Windows it would be possible to make
> the plugins either live in some resource-fork kind of doohickey, or to
> find a tolerable install program that would hide the awful complexity.
> Hell, I'll donate the second half of my pay from the squeakbook towards
> paying for it (the first half is promised towards the party) if that
> makes it any more possible!

I looked into the installers available for mac a few weeks back, there
are two major
players out from Aladdin and Mind Vision (installer vise). But after
looking at both
I think using Squeak as the installer would be the way to go. After a
majorShrink
the image/vm is about 1 megabyte, that's not much bigger than most
installers.
So my suggestion would be to donate the money to someone who would build this
installer tool in Squeak and we would have a nice way to install stuff
and
Squeak as a general purpose installer tool with the built in platform
independent
tcp/ip, file handling, ffi etc. would be a great program for every platform.

Karl