Stepping question..

Rob Withers slosher2 at home.com
Mon Sep 25 04:42:56 UTC 2000

Bijan Parsia wrote:

> You might try examining the IRCConnection and TelnetMachine classes, in
> particular the #processIO method. They both use stepping to moniter a
> socket.
>
> However, I don't think you'd want to use stepping to do low level io, for
> many reasons (including that stepping is tied, afaict, to the current
> project). Perhaps a peek at ConnectionQueue>>listenLoop would be more
> useful. The real key is to establish a Process of the right priority. You
> can use the (Delay forMilliseconds: 500) wait. idiom to get the timing
> right. You want to set the priority to be highIOPriority or lowIOPriority
> (see ProcessorScheduler).

Hi,

It seems as if the idiom of a repetitive task is used in many different
circumstances, so it seemed a useful abstraction.  It would be trivial
to extend this with a getter for priority and then have a creation
method which also sets the priority other than the default.

Initially, I was writing a CronDaemon in Squeak but it really was
overkill, since the interrupt window will schedule the highest priority,
available process - it seems we really don't need a timer Process.
Thoughts on this?  Ultimately, a Crond manager would maintain a
collection of registered tasks, so we could manage them, but the details
of rescheduling are contained in the Task instance, instead of a
'crontab'.  We can always use a class #startUp method to launch system
tasks (which is what I do).

Rob