[Q] Squeak World Tour

Mats Nygren nygren at sics.se
Fri Sep 22 15:36:54 UTC 2000

Stephane Ducasse <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
> [quoting John Sarkela]
> > 1. SystemDictionary>>initialize has been refactored so that it does
> > not directly call out class names when the startup and shutdown
> > lists are initialized. Rather each class requiring entries in
> > shutdown or startup list do so in their <class> #initialize methods.
> > Similarly the classes have a #release method that is responsible for
> > degregistering interest in startup and shutdown. The existing ad hoc
> > coding patterns resulted in a method that could not be recompiled
> > after a shrink. (Note well, that we must preserve order of class
> > initialization. Hopefully this is where knowledge of module
> > dependencies will help us to do the right thing.)

Simply give a list of what other objects a class is dependent on when it
registers its interest in shutDown/startUp. And let startUp/shutDown be
a dag-traversal (with check for loops, to avoid ugly behaviour). And
make sure there is only one structure, not two. A variation of this can
be used for modules, but dont wait until then for organizing this.

/Mats